Tuesday 1 April 2014

SOURCES OF INSPIRATION

THE CUNNING MAN’S JOURNEY BY VICTORIA MACLEOD

People say that we should ‘count our blessings’ more that we perhaps do. Reflecting upon the positive elements of our existence, those treasured moments of memory and experience.

What is a blessing? How can we define such and is a blessing different for each of us? If one is a parent then it is likely that you will regard your children as your blessings. Others may have other special parts of their lives that are regarded as a blessing.

ENGRAVED TUMBLERS BEARING THE BADGE OF THE HEARTH OF THE TURNING WHEEL

My blessings are my family and my friendships. I count amongst these friendships treasured individuals, supportive, loving and very often inspiring. This latter group of friends are often so inspiring, that at times I am left in awe of their talent, their skill, their learning and quite often; their total lack of faith in their own abilities.

LOGO OF THE DERBY WITAN BY ZHAKRISSTOL

On this last point I can at least enjoy some part of a mutual and equal experience of self doubt. I write but I do not actually think I am any good. I mess about with a camera but I know what is wrong with my pictures, even if others do not notice the flaws.

So when I look at my amazing friends who are actors, artists, writers and craftspeople, I am awed because I am not an artist. I cannot touch them emotionally as a peer but stand transfixed and often mesmerised like a child, by their display of self-effacing skill.

THE RUT BY J. PALFREYMAN

I have pictures, prints given me by the artists, in which a few brush strokes or a line of pen and ink, create images of beauty and motion. I have books, signed by authors whose skill I can never hope to equal. I have clothes made by a friend, who is so talented with a needle that it is beyond expression, yet whose talent is undervalued. I have glasses engraved with the badge of the Hearth of the Turning Wheel, by a dear boy who is embarrassed when asked to undertake a commission, because he has no appreciation of his own talent.

COMMISSIONED TALISMAN BY TVEIR HRAFNAR

I have jewellery that is hand crafted by a talented lady in London and more by an equally talented silversmith in the USA, whose imagination and skill is beyond words. These people, these wonderful, talented friendships are my blessings and I have not mentioned them all.

HOOD LAMP MADE BY MR JOHNSON OF DERBYSHIRE

If these friendships are my blessings what are theirs? Is whatever inspires them their own blessing? That indefinable spark, that divine muse that burns inside an artist or artisan, is that their blessing? Perhaps it is but my blessing is the knowing of these people and the being able to share in some small way, their own inspiration because it does inspire me.

CEREMONIAL ROBES BY THE DRAGON ARTISAN


SELECTED RECOMMENDATIONS

SIBEAL'S CAVE: THE OCCULT ARTWORK OF ISABELLE GABORIT
https://www.facebook.com/sibealscave

STEVE THE GREEN MAN POTTER
https://www.facebook.com/SteveTheGreenManPotter?fref=ts

TVEIR HRAFNAR: MAGICKAL TALISMANS CRAFTED BY HAND IN STERLING SILVER http://tveirhrafnar.com/blog/

VICTORIA MACLEOD: CARDS, PRINTS AND SCULPTURES

ZhaKrisstol: Chaos in motion

1 comment:

  1. Daniel- First, thank you for including me in this post. I greatly appreciate all the support you have continued ton give me.

    I also have a list that I probably should try to compile, as these things matter. A large portion of my list is gone from this life. Some friends, some whose art just ruins me with it's power and beauty.

    These are important, inspiration, blessings, the spark that get passed from one to another, often unknowingly.

    Lovely post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete