Friday 14 February 2020

The Toxic Internet & Tall Poppy Syndrome



As I have stated in another of my posts, I did not have the internet at home and I did not join Facebook until 2007. I am a late comer to the modern wonder that is the world wide web and to quote Homesteading Off The Grid (YouTube 2019); "Everyone is an expert on Social Media" and that is important.

Those of you who have been following some of my recent posts and those not so recent, will be aware of my views regarding the Internet and modern life. My journey to become a grumpy old man is not yet complete. Behind the humour and rants however, if they really should be called that; are I hope some observations that will make the reader pause.

Language evolves, it can change and develop over time. We all know that and it is an observable phenomenon throughout history. The English language in particular has been enriched by the blatant appropriation of foreign derived words over many centuries. On the Internet and within our modern society, people appear intent upon redefining words to fit their own perceived agenda. This is a different form of appropriation and is far from appropriate.

For example, when I awoke this morning I got out of bed. It is something I do most days when I wake up. I am awake now but I am not woke. Woke is a verb it is not a noun. Science is a body of collected knowledge and it is a noun. You do not 'science' as it is not a verb. I have nothing in common with those who feel they are 'woke' or those who 'science' rather than research. The examples offered are a vacuous fashion trend that fully deserve ridicule but they are systematic of the politically correct nature of modern society, although political BS would be a rather more appropriate description.

Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners. -George Carlin.

The moment you step out into public view, you will attract supporters and detractors. The greater your public profile the greater both will be. Sound and unbiased critique should obviously be welcomed. However, simply by taking that step into the 'limelight,' you will attract those who take pleasure in criticism for the sake of criticism. Stand with your head above the parapet long enough and someone will take a shot at you. This is the politics of envy, this is tall poppy syndrome.


The term tall poppy syndrome is alleged to have originated after the Great War of 1914 to 1918. It is said to be based upon the spare time practice of British Tommies, taking pot shots at the taller flower heads of those poppies growing in No-Man's Land. This is a colourful anecdote but it is unlikely to be true. Armies don't like ammunition being wasted on such activities. The more likely origin lies with Herodotus writing around 400 BCE but he wrote about tall wheat. It was Livy writing 300 years later who introduced poppies into the equation but the meaning is the same. The allegory is that people who rise to the top, should be cut down to curb their influence.   

In this world; including that of the Pagan, the Occult and the Artistic, we have our share of tall poppies. Myself, friends and many professional contacts; frequently face the criticism of  persons who have to put it bluntly, achieved little themselves. Some of my network, including writers and those involved in charitable pursuits, have on occasion been deeply hurt by the toxic behaviour of their detractors. This has in some cases provoked a degree of self questioning and made them ask; is it worth it?

In modern usage tall poppy syndrome is nothing more than the politics of envy, manifested as acts of transparent resentfulness. People snipe at those doing well or in positions of influence, because they believe that they instead should have that position of authority. The observations and the criticism made are not always justified. I emphasise that those who offer this unwarranted criticism, have very often not achieved anything of noteworthy themselves. Their opinion would carry more weight if they had. Sometimes it is those who claim to be 'woke' who are the most vociferous in the debate. Perhaps they are not as enlightened as they believe but they are certainly special.

As a former Pagan Federation Officer I hosted moots, liaised with the media and Interfaith, I assisted in the organisation of events. I faced criticism on occasion. I stepped on toes to get things done. I have been a tall poppy and I have faced the same envious sniper. Was it worth it? In the short term, yes. In the long term I am not so certain but I did not do the job to make friends; I did the job to further a cause.

My message to those on my network still active in the service of our community and our society, those who write or are active in the artistic sphere, it to carry on regardless. I frequently look at what I have written and I dismiss it all as rubbish. I may even delete hours of work because of this. I have yet to meet a writer, an artist or an actor who is not painfully tormented by debilitating self-doubt. Those in the service of others, those actively engaged in trying to make a better world, are often equally self-conscious and my message is the same. Don't give up, don't ever give up.


Did Facebook Kill Witchvox?

The Toxic Internet and Misinformation


No comments:

Post a Comment