Wednesday 1 July 2020

Young Earth Creationism and the Televangelist Movement



Over recent months in an attempt to learn more regards the world's leading faith, I have been generally 'reading up' on the subject. As part of this ongoing study I have purchased a new Bible, I have attended church and I have watched on YouTube an assortment of programmes on the subject. What I have read, seen and experienced has been enlightening, educational but also at times, deeply confusing.

Nothing in this area has perhaps confused me more than New Earth Creationism and the total denial of evolution by some self identifying Christians. As I have stated frequently, there is no conflict between science and faith unless one chooses to create such. I am equally intolerant towards all those of extreme views, whether they be potty Pagans, mad Muslims, angry Atheists or crazy Christians. Young Earth Creationist take an extreme view and choose to create a dichotomy; which is both unnecessary and harmful.

The New Earth Creationists can in some cases be dismissed like the other childish extremists above but not always. Some are far too articulate, educated and professional, to be dismissed easily as foolish or stupid. Furthermore, some are unfortunately the promoters of dangerous opinion and they are overly aggressive in their educational approach.

It was not my intention in writing this piece to focus upon any individuals or to identify them by name. They are to be frank, all rather similar. They are all American and the majority are male. We have for example one 'Pentecostal or Baptist' style minister who presents YouTube sermons in both English and Spanish. Which is in itself impressive. This man I have named 'Mr Shout at the camera' as that seems to be his main style of educational approach. This wonderful example of Christianity is 'anti' so many things, I really do not know where to start with him. There is a puzzling focus upon the 'Rapture' even going so far as to claim that the end times will come anytime between 2021 and 2027. This is based on a remarkable exegesis of scripture that is in a direct contradiction to his forceful disavowal of Gnosticism.

As one would expect the majority of these preachers are not supportive of a homosexual lifestyle, this is to be expected within the broad Christian context. The aggressive attitude however, does rather take me by surprise. The Christian teaching of love appears to be nonexistent. There is as I allude above an anti-esoteric element and this leads further to attacks upon that great charitable benefactor, the Freemasons.

I add that I am deeply shocked by the stance of some of the 'Evangelicals' in the USA who are blatantly anti-Catholic. Some even going so far as to not consider Roman Catholics to be Christians. Such an opinion is barely credible but the lack of respect for the Mother Church of Western Christianity, the original and primary Christian Church; being shown in the 21st century is more than disappointing. One would have hoped that we as a civilisation had outgrown such opinion.

There is as one would perhaps expect an underlying Islamophobia present but compared to the homophobia, the chauvinism and the anti-Catholic rhetoric; this is relatively minor. What these so called pastors fail to realise, is that their 'preaching' is actually an excellent endorsement for Freemasonry, Catholicism and other Christian denominations. It is certainly not a positive endorsement for their own brand of 'Christianity' which is clearly less welcoming than many others.

Not wishing to pun but I do observe that the 'big name' televangelists, have come as something of a revelation to me. Thankfully here in the United Kingdom these people are little known but watching them, in a detached manner from the safety of the east side of the Atlantic, I can see the very worst of American society. They are conceited, egotistical, avaricious and manipulative.

Although it was not my intention name and shame, there are some notables that a brief internet search will soon identify. This includes one gentleman who runs 'Dinosaur Adventure Land' and hosts a YouTube show called 'Whack an Atheist.' Another gentleman, far more articulate and better educated; has built a full size replica of Noah's Ark in Kentucky. I have no idea what 'Dinosaur Adventure Land' is like but having seen videos of the 'Ark Encounter' I am quite impressed. If I was holidaying in the USA, this is one 'amusement park' that I would visit. Both of these gentlemen genuinely believe that dinosaurs walked with Adam and Eve. Taking the Bible literally they discount evolution and misunderstand the definition of scientific theory. 

A belief in evolution and in scientific knowledge, does not preclude a spirituality. Science does not disqualify a religious belief and religious practice does not exclude the acceptance of science as a body of knowledge. The dichotomy is artificial and unnecessary. I am a religious man but I accept evolutionary theory. There is no conflict.

There is however, one preacher I will name. He is unlike the ones alluded to so far, a televangelist. As such he has much in common, with many others that preach the so called 'Prosperity Gospel' live and on television. This man is Kenneth Copeland and I really do not know what to think of him. I have seen him boast of his millions, his private jets and attempt to blow COVID-19 away with the 'Wind of God.' Although what he actually did was blow a pathetic raspberry at the microphone. I have seen him act out divine inspiration and the speaking in tongues, badly but well enough to have his audience in ecstasy. While watching Kenneth Copeland I have formulated a question. Is this a man with senility or a man with a mental health issue? Perhaps the reader can answer that question but I know a charlatan when I see one.

To aid my research for this piece, I have spoken to work colleagues who are Christian. One of whom is the young man whose church I attended in February. I wrote a blog about that (see link below). He is a far better example of living the life of a Christian Pilgrim than any televangelist or many of those making podcasts. I can see the light of God in the eyes of my work colleague. I do not see the light of God in the eyes of these televangelists.

In the eyes of Copeland in particular, I see something quite terrifying. I look at these televangelists that claim to be saved and I think that many could be in for an unpleasant surprise. If the Rapture did ever happen in the way that they envision, it is they who will be left behind. Televangelists are a disgrace to the church and to Christianity as a whole, they do a disservice to the Christ that they claim to serve; with every word they so shamefully utter. They appear at odds with the Christianity that I know and their brand of Christianity is not one I wish to know further.


Evensong and Epiphanytide 2020

Derby City Church 2nd February 2020

The Toxic Internet & Misinformation

No comments:

Post a Comment