Thursday 16 January 2020

From the archive - 'Musings upon the Internet' 2013


My article 'Musings upon the Internet' was first published in the Hedgewytch Magazine in 2013 and recently in reviewing my archive, I began ask myself what has changed in those seven years? It is true that the phenomenon that is the Internet, has been a subject I have addressed previously and it is one I intend to address again. In preparation for this future blog, I have decided to publish here that original piece; as it appeared in the much missed Hedgewytch Magazine.


I was recently rereading some back issues of the Hedgewytch and in a previous issue of magazine (Editorial issue 50 May/Beltaine 2010 pp3-4); the editor had shared her own thoughts on the technological advances influencing our community, specifically the Internet. Although I do not wish to turn this into a rant as I do recognise the benefits of the web, I do find that my own personal opinions echo closely those expressed by our esteemed editor.

The benefits of the Internet are naturally considerable as many who are unable to leave their homes have an easy access to others of a like mind. At least that is the theory. Having friends who are housebound much of the time as they are confined to a wheelchair, I accept that in those circumstances the Internet is a major benefit to their quality of life. The wonders of such communication means that I like many others, now have ‘email-friends’ as opposed to pen-friends, in several foreign countries. These factors are the profit of the web and the associated on-line Pagan and Craft community.

However, on the web there is at times a greater emphasis upon quantity as opposed to quality. In my opinion many using the Internet as a primary source of research, are likely to be disappointed. The exceptions are those unfortunates who being of a gullible nature, will willingly swallow the spoon-fed inaccuracies on offer. In the latter case, where we witness a sad loss of the ability to think critically, there is perhaps little hope.

We are seeing the creation of numberless websites by well meaning individuals who having read some half dozen books in as many months, become convinced that they are experts on The Craft, ‘self-initiate’ themselves to 3rd Degree Gardnerian  within the year and then by repeating the same drivel they have read, choose to become craft teachers. To observe a relative new-comer or individual obviously lacking in experience, attempt to teach a Craft Elder ‘how to suck eggs’ on the web is to be frank, both amusing and at times, quite shocking.

There is a noticeable confusion in that some think opinion carries the same weight as a proven fact, not that I wish to devalue anyone’s opinion but an opinion voiced without a proper supporting argument is highly questionable from the academic viewpoint. I am continually irked, by the inability of some to provide references and often shocked by the number of Pagans who still believe that nine million women were burnt at the stake. Believing in something and repeating it a dozen times is not going to make it true. The burning times are a myth, live with it.

There is on the numerous forums and other websites, a distinct lack of perspective but also and perhaps more importantly, a lack of academic and editorial discipline. The benefit of a published work, be it a journal or a book, is that someone has proof read it, it has been scrutinised by an editor. To put it simply there has been a peer review. What we often encounter upon the Internet is a vast array of boringly similar websites and of such monotonous content, that one is exasperated by the sheer banality of the subject matter. Many of these websites proffer the same regurgitated opinion of the same few authors of dubious credibility, many sharing the same publisher of equally dubious reputation.

Like the editor of Hedgewytch I am tired of reading the same contradictory definitions of Paganism and Witchcraft. I am a Pagan not a new-age neo-pagan and I practice Pagan Witchcraft my way. It is my path and it is really no one else’s business. I may choose to share my practice like others via published articles but I really do not feel it necessary to justify my faith or seek “converts” by spamming the web. In that respect, I have something of a take it or leave it attitude. I do not expect to agree with everyone on everything. Nor do I presume that all reading this are actually interested in every detail of my life, although admittedly, I have now been converted to ‘BLOGGING!’

There is prevalent on the web however, an erroneous belief that all who call themselves Pagan, Witch or are members of The Craft in any manner, all conform to the identical definition and practice. All sharing precisely the same opinion and are “fans” of the same authors. It simply is not so. Very often, the same discussions appear all over the web but shockingly, they are often discussions on subjects raised twenty or thirty years ago in journals and magazines. One is given the impression that in some quarters of our community there is no evolution but instead, a worrying spiritual stagnation.

Therefore and again, like the editor of Hedgewytch I will not join forums but will instead limit my Internet time to quality usage. I will more importantly, continue to support and recommend magazines and journals such as The Hedgewytch, The Cauldron, Silver Wheel, Deosil Dance, Brigid’s Fire and the likes of the much lamented White Dragon for example, because their editors have standards, very high standards. OK, rant over. Now how about switching that PC off and meeting me down the pub? Perhaps you may fancy meeting for a coffee? People need to get out more and experience real life and real people with lives outside of cyberspace. Ye Gods, I have turned into a grumpy old man.


Publishing note
Chattering Magpie (D.B.Griffith) (2013) Musings on the Internet. The Hedge Wytch issue 62 May/Beltane 2013 pp5-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment