Thursday 16 January 2020

From the Archive - The Story of the Exploding Cauldron




It was many years ago and I had as I do now a cauldron, although then it was just a small copper affair. It got a lot of use with slips of paper burnt within it, incense and even a candle from time to time. One evening I was engaged in some small scale spell work and I set a slip of faux parchment alight. I dropped the slip of paper into the cauldron and closed my eyes to concentrate.


I slowly became aware that the room was lighter than it perhaps should be and I opened my eyes to see flames nearly a foot high, coming from a cauldron that was barely six inches high. The flames were worryingly close to the curtain at the back of the altar. I raced to the bathroom, grabbed wet a towel, ran back and threw it over the cauldron. There was a very loud crack and the cauldron shattered. On examination I found pieces of copper, two to three inches long embedded in the towel and in the table top.


I soon discovered why this had happened. I had neglected to clean out the cauldron and there was a layer of wax at the bottom. This layer had been set alight when the slip of parchment had been dropped into the cauldron and the parchment had very effectively acted as a wick. There is a lesson here for all beginners.


© Chattering Magpie 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment