Wednesday 19 December 2018

FAREWELL FACEBOOK?





This week (18th December 2018) I have experienced issues with the behemoth that is Facebook that have been both inconvenient and frustrating. Facebook has in its wisdom chosen to block my blog on Google Blogspot which is my most important website. No clear reason has been given and attempting to contact Facebook has been near impossible. Like many web based organisations today, it is run by computer, its IT support is based on algorithms and its replies are impersonal automated responses.

Whether I have been caught failing in their ‘Community Standards,’ which is an ambiguous description that covers so many ‘sins’ that it has little meaning or whether the blog has been labelled as spam, remains unclear. The situation has however, forced me to review my use of Facebook and question its validity to my own requirements apropos personal expression.

Independent writers and artists are facing progressively challenging times, as censorship of an inappropriate nature becomes increasingly evident. How damaging this will be in the long term to our internet rights or how limiting this will prove, as we continue to suffer the onslaught of childish political correctness, is unknown.

Although Facebook would never admit it publicly and their business news certainly displays no hint of such things, it is clear that Facebook is facing challenges. Having destroyed My Space and strangled Google Plus in the cradle, Facebook still faces competition from Twitter, WhatsApp and Tumblr. It is clear that many are leaving Facebook for these alternative sites but because people do not deactivate accounts, the statistics reflecting Facebook usage remain artificially high. Groups that claim ten thousand members are in reality groups with an active membership (by which I mean readers and those that post) of only a few hundred. Numerous persons now deceased still officially have Facebook accounts and again this produces inaccurate usage statistics.

In reviewing my own approach to social networking sites such a Facebook, I take a far more pragmatic approach than many. I ask a very simple question and that question is; what benefit do I derive? In the case of Facebook I have three uses for the site.

Firstly it is a communication tool. I can message people privately and I can discuss issues publicly, either on a ‘wall’ or in a group. In this manner I have developed friendships and acquaintanceships with persons across the globe. Secondly Facebook enables me to receive and send out updates or notifications, of events via like pages. This aspect of Facebook is useful to me as a theatre-goer and as an event organiser. Unfortunately it is becoming increasingly clear that notifications do not reach people as effectively as previous experience has shown. Facebook in this regard, has begun to show signs of failure. The third use is that I can share links to various news items and my websites such as Etsy, Ebay, YouTube and blog.

In having my primary site barred from Facebook, my need for Facebook has been reduced by at least one third and perhaps half, as the effectiveness covered in point two is already compromised. This forces me and this requirement is not unwelcome, to revaluate my own use and need for Facebook. Do I reduce my activity or leave? Do I continue to seek (as these considerations are in not any way newly formed) an alternative to Facebook?

Although my Google BlogSpot site will remain as my flagship site (link below) but in response to the current difficulties with Facebook, I have begun work on a supplementary site. This alternative blog has been created via the WordPress platform (link below). This WordPress blog is still very much in the early developmental stages.

Google has recently announced that their own social networking site, that disappointing failure Google Plus, will be deleted in the summer of 2019. Sadly most people will not notice. It was hoped at its launch that if Google Plus did not do to Facebook what Facebook did to My Space, it would at least be a wake-up call for Facebook. This did not prove to be the case, Facebook staggered on almost oblivious to the competitor, leaving Google Plus to wither and die in the nursery.

Since my ability to share my blogs and other sites will cease altogether on Google Plus next year and my ability to share on Facebook is now severely limited. I earnestly request that all those who enjoy my work and follow me informally on Google Plus or on Facebook, consider following both of my blogs via the respective links found on each of the blogs.

Chattering Magpie - Summoner of the Hearth

Chattering Magpie



1 comment:

  1. UPDATE: Although Facebook reinstated access to my blog after three days, the lesson has been learned and I continue to evaluate my use of the platform.

    ReplyDelete